Monday, September 13, 2010

Battered Luggage, indeed!

Well, here I am again. Piled on the sidewalk, just how Jack Keraouc described. The sidewalk upon which I have landed is right outside 1860 Chaney Road in Dubuque, Iowa. Sally the dog is on her leash and Peanut the cat has already made her way up the winding steps to the 1950s-era door.

Sally and I have looked up from 5 sidewalks since we have been together, albeit, this one is the furthest away and the most drastic of changes.



I know most people do not understand our yearning for change, our interest in moving, even as we grieve over leaving the people and places we love.  I do it usually for a new job and new adventure. Sally and Peanut are the battered luggage, not necessarily wanting to leave their spots in the sun on distant floors, but they do it for me anyway because they know I can’t do it alone. Frankly, I don’t even know why I do it myself, but I think Jack gets it—“the road is life.”

I have decided to document my change, even though it is not extraordinary to anyone, but us. Friends and family in the Southeast might find it informative and I hope at times interesting, but really I just want to understand why I am so intrigued by “places.” As I get to know Dubuque, Iowa and the surrounding places, I want to share it.

So for a while I will write about my introduction to the Midwest, part travelogue, part personal journal, part apology for leaving my beloved South and my friends and family still there.  

We are going to start right here on this sidewalk and take a tour of the house, the city, the state and beyond. I am going to get settled first though, chase the cat down and find Sally a spot in the sun, then I will show you around….


4 comments:

  1. Love that you're blogging, Marcie! (And I JUST finished reading On the Road, proving again that we are kindred spirits.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Good luck with this. It's hard to keep up with blogs somethimes. (Mine has fallen into its annual College Football phase during Fall but I'll have a 'real one' up soon) Just make yourself sit down at least once a month and do it. I look forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to hearing your voice again. I'm intrigued with Iowa. Living in AZ I met a few people from there...all v. journalistic like you. ;) I thought I mightbe destin to live there some day with the demise of magazines, yet Meredith keeps chugging along. We are wishing you all the best and I'm kicking myself for not catching up while we were in adjoining states. All the best my friend!

    ReplyDelete